Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hospital




Around 5 o'clock Sunday morning Tom & I decided to take Brennick to the emergency room. The dr. on Saturday had said that he had pink eye, which he did... but B also has some reactive respiratory disease, basically meaning when he gets sick asthma kicks it. Anyway our little bug couldn't hardly breath Sunday Morning, so we took him in. They did 3 Neb treatments, gave him some steroids for his lungs, and oxygen. After the Dr. reviewed him 5 hours later they decided to admit him. We originally had just gone to the closest hospital on our gps, Harford Hospital, but they don't have a pediatric unit, so they transferred us, by ambulance, to Upper Chesapeake Medical Hospital. Before leaving they had to do x-rays and blood, and give him a hep-lock for an iv. I think that was one of the hardest parts of the entire experience.... seeing him in the contraption they put babies in for an xray was absolutely heartbreaking! So thats where the tears began, and didn't end much after. They poked both arms and his foot looking for a vein in his chubby little body before they found a line. They ended up using one off of his foot, so they had to put a splint on it so it wouldn't get kinked or fall out. (pic above). Once we were admitted to UCMC they did more breathing treatments every 3 hours.... we were there in tell Tuesday afternoon, and ended up staying two nights at the hospital. The whole ordeal ended up being much, much more than we anticipated, and I was an emotional wreck the entire time, not only because Brennick was in the hospital, but because we only have one car... so I had to leave B at the hospital with the nurses to take Tom back to the base (30 min drive both ways), then on the way back one time it was PORING down rain and I slid the car into a sidewalk/embankment thing, I had been sleep deprived for 3 days, and our nerves were shot! All of that aside, B is beginning to feel better. We're still doing neb treatments every 4 hours here at home. I thought he looked adorable in his little hospital gown and metal "crib" so I had to post some of those. There is also a pic of him with RN Robin Connelly, he loved her and she did her best to keep me sane through the whole ordeal. 



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Brenick,

We love you, always.
Grand's Dannenberg
Carinho

Paige said...

We are glad that B is doing better! It is never fun to have a sick kid & to add the hospital on top of that...no thank you! When Hyrum was 4 1/2 months old we had to be with him at Texas Children's for a week after he had a reaction to his shots. It looks like they took good care of you guys though!!

Kenzie said...

Poor little guy! I am glad he is doing better though!

Becky said...

That's always a scary thing and so hard to watch as a mother. I am sorry but hope he is doing better.

I have a nephew with this same thing but now that he's getting a little older (3) it isn't near as bad.

Heather said...

How SAD! I am glad that things worked out. I would be a wreck too. It was nice that Tom was there too.